Not everyone has a perfect smile. Some people need a little bit of help to achieve the smile of their dreams. One of the easiest ways to attain a dramatically improved smile is by using porcelain veneers.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Dental veneers were introduced in the early ‘80s and are regarded as the most viable treatment modality in restorative aesthetic dentistry. They allow your dentist to restore and rebuild your smile in a non-invasive way while preserving the integrity of the tooth structure.
Porcelain veneers are thin shells made of porcelain that are custom made to fit over your teeth. Because of the custom fitting, to make sure everything is perfect, you may have to visit your dentist on multiple occasions. At least once for measurements and again to make sure that they fit properly.
How do they transform your smile?
Porcelain veneers correct several dental impairments at the same time:
- Restore badly stained teeth – over-the-counter teeth whitening treatments often do not work well, last long, or withstand the continued use of strong coffee, tea or tobacco.
- Fix gaps between teeth – the veneers can be shaped to cover gaps and crooked teeth and transform the appearance of your teeth into a flawless smile.
- Fill or resurface teeth – cracked, chipped, worn or decayed teeth can be repaired; the porcelain shell will resurface the tooth.
- Resurfacing the tooth – can also be applied to a tooth previously treated with bonding which has worn out and can fill the whole face of the tooth.
- Can correct overcrowding – by spacing out the veneer shells appropriately your teeth will no longer appear overcrowded.
- Change the shape or length of your teeth – people with small, short, stumpy teeth find it hard to smile and can have the length of the teeth improved, with cleaner and evened-out shapes.
- Can be color-matched if required – for example, if only one or a couple of teeth are fixed, it can be color-matched to your existing tooth color.
- Veneers have a life-like and natural quality – almost indistinguishable from natural teeth, with a translucent quality. Veneers display layered depth and shine.
- Several types of porcelain veneers are available – you can choose the one that suits your personality and budget.
- Highly stain-resistant and much more durable than composite bonding.
- Solid restoration – professional veneers can last 10-20 years with regular dental care.
- Low side-effects – there is a very high success rate in marginal adaptation, gingival tissue response, and other clinically significant issues over the long term.
- Improved self-confidence – a flawless smile can do wonders for your self-confidence socially and professionally.
How do I Make Sure my Veneers are Successful?
Veneers are a permanent solution, so they will require attention to detail in several procedures, including:
- planning the treatment
- conservative teeth preparation
- proper selection of porcelain to match the natural tooth color and facial tone
- ongoing communication between the patient and the dentist
- proper selection of the materials and methods of cementation
- proper planning for the ongoing maintenance of the restorations
- ongoing at-home and professional dental hygiene
View before and after pictures of previous patients, preferably with updates after several years. If possible, request that your dentist to do a ‘smile simulation’ for you, so you can see the difference veneers will make to your new smile.